A lot of fun was had making this spread, as well as eating it along the way.
Nutella was one of my favourite toast spreads growing up so thought I would recreate my own version!
|3 cups hazelnuts||1 tsp vanilla extract|
|1/4 tsp salt||3 Tbsp cocoa powder|
|1 Tbsp maple syrup/sweetener of choice||1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil if needed|
1.Preheat oven to 180c fanbake and roast hazelnuts on a large tray for 12-15 minutes.
2. Cool the hazelnuts and rub between a tea towel to remove skins.
3. Place all of the hazelnuts into a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until nuts form a butter (rounghly 10 minutes). Be persistent and scrap down the sides when needed.
4. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and continue to blend until combined.
5. Depending on personal preference, add maple syrup to sweeten.
Note: I found that mine thickened when adding the sweetener so added 1Tbsp canola oil to make it spreadable.
6. Store in an air tight jar for 2-3 weeks.