This meal got a solid 4.5/5 from the flat mates tonight and one is especially hard to please. ‘Tasty’, ‘fresh’ and ‘filling’ were used to describe. Give this a go, look after yourselves and stay safe!
Teriyaki Chicken Sushi Bowls
|400g chicken breast cut into |
bite size pieces
|1C rice with 1.5C water|
|2 avocados||1 capsicum|
|2 carrots||1/2 cucumber|
|1C edamame beans||2 tsp pickled ginger|
|1 packet pickled ginger|
|1/4C soy sauce||1/3C water|
|3T brown sugar||1T grated ginger|
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
1. Combine rice with water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to low heat for 15 (20 for brown rice) minutes. Without lifting lid, turn the heat off and continue to steam for further 8 minutes. Fluff with fork prior to serving.
2. While rice is cooking, mix the ingredient for the teriyaki sauce together in a bowl and set aside.
3. Dice the carrot and cucumber, slice the avocado and grate or finely chop the carrots.
4. Place edamame beans in a bowl or pot and cover with boiling water. Drain before serving.
5. Heat oil in a medium-large fry pan and cook chicken until starting to brown- roughly 6 minutes (it does not need to be fully cooked as will continue to cook).
6. Turn down the heat and pour teriyaki sauce into pan and continuously spoon over the chicken for a further 5 minutes. If the sauce reduces too much, add a few spoonfuls of water. If the sauce does not reduce and thicken, combine 1tsp cornflour with 2tsp water and mix in slowly. You might need to increase the heat too. Check that the chicken is cooked the whole way through.
7. Time to assemble wooo! Place rice in the bowls first, top with vegetables, ginger, chicken and sauce and sprinkle over sesame seeds last. Enjoy!