This week in the N Cubed kitchen we tried Jackfruit!!! Jackfruit is a plant-based meat alternative and resembles a pulled pork/shredded chicken like texture. It does however contain minimal protein so we have included chilli beans and refried beans as well!
Serves - 4 | Cooking TIme - 20 mins | Prep Time - 10 mins
|1 T canola or other available cooking oil||1x can jackfruit, rinsed|
|1x onion, finely diced||2 x cloves raw or 2 tsp minced garlic|
|1 tsp each of cumin, coriander, smoked paprika||1x can chilli beans|
|1x cup uncooked rice (preferably brown rice)||1.5 cup water|
|1x can refried beans||2x corn cobs or can corn|
Homemade chunky tomato salsa (tomatoes combined with handful coriander, 2T lemon juice, salt and pepper) or fresh tomatoes
Optional: small amount of grated cheese
1. Combine rice and water in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to boil and reduce heat, continue to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to continue steaming with the lid on until ready to serve.
2. Prepare all vegetables.
3. Rinse the jackfruit and cut from core outwards.
4. If using fresh corn cob, cook whilst preparing jackfruit mixture- we placed ours in the microwave for 4 minutes. You can also cut corn off the cob and stir fry it if you prefer more of a grilled flavour.
5. In a large fry pan, heat oil and add onion and garlic. Stir fry until cooked. Add spices and jackfruit and stir to combine. Cook until jackfruit starts to soften and break up (roughly four minutes). Add chilli beans, stir and cook on low heat for another five minutes. Jackfruit will start shred apart- You may need to use a spatula to help break it up. Remove from heat when jackfruit is soft and beans are heated through.
6. Heat refried beans in a pot or microwave until warm.
7. Assemble all ingredients on plates- Divide the rice between four plates and aim for vegetables to take up half of plate. Top with jackfruit mixture and refried beans.
|- Protein per serving: 15g |
- Carbohydrates per serving 49g
- Sugar per serving 20g
- Sodium per serving 418mg
|- Calories per serving 407 |
- Fat per serving 18g
- Saturated fat per serving 4g
- Cholesterol per serving 13mg